18 best essential oils for travel, how to use them, & travel tips!
Traveling with essential oils is one of our favorite things to do.
Because travel can be stressful. It demands patience and focus, while at the same time tempting us to be let our guard down, feel free, and relax.
We love traveling with essential oils because they help manage the stress, anxiety, and joy that comes with jumping time zones. Added bonus: They keep your skin looking fresh, and can even be used as a natural disinfectant for treating unexpected cuts (and, actually, gnarly AirBNB appliances as well).
Here’s our guide to the 18 best essential oils to travel with, how to use them, and random tips to make your next trip totally awesome. Enjoy!
18 Best Essential Oils for Travel
So, what are the best essential oils to travel with? Here is a list of favorites, crowd sourced from our Instagram page.
Individual essential oils:
- Ylang Ylang
- Tea Tree
- 5 Thieves
Therapeutic essential oils blends:
- *Anxiety: A calming blend of Lavender, Rose Essential Oil, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, and Frankincense.
- *De-stress: A therapeutic blend of Lime, Lavandin, Lemon, Grapefruit, Orange, Geranium, Citral Natural, and Litsea Cubeba.
- *Sensation: An arousing blend of Coriander, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Jasmine and Geranium.
- *Valiance: A peaceful experience with Black Spruce Essential oil, Camphor Essential Oil, Blue Tansy Essential Oil, Boswellia Carterii (Frankincense) Essential Oil, and Geranium.
- *Meditation: A sublime combination of oils known to relax the senses and promote inner calm.
- *Muscle ease: A soothing yet invigorating blend of Peppermint, Wintergreen, Blue Tansy, Helichrysum, Roman Chamomile, Ginger, Ylang Ylang, and Black Pepper.
- *Brain Power: An invigorating dose of Sandalwood, Cedar Wood, Melissa, Frankincense, Blue Cypress, and Helichrysum essential oils.
*Therapeutic blends are a unique combination of 100% pure, natural, and cruelty free oils that are known to work together synergistically. For more information on these unique blends, visit our essential oils travel kits page.
Why use essential oils while traveling?
Most people associate essential oils with aroma therapy. They picture diffusers, clouds of gentle mist, and zen-like relaxation. But relaxation is not the only thing essential oils are used for.
Take Peppermint essential oil, for example. Studies show this energetic oil can significantly reduce the symptoms of IBS, which can unexpectedly ruin even the most perfectly planned vacation (i). Yet peppermint has also been shown to instantly increase physical performance by up to 36%, a secret that many professional athletes have long used as a competitive advantage while on the road (ii).
Peppermint is the perfect example of versatile essential oils can be. It’s no wonder they make the perfect travel companion—aside from your significant other, of course.
Here are just a few of our favorite reasons to travel with essential oils:
- First aid: Knick your finger? Cut your leg on your jungle adventure? Oils can be used to disinfect and soothe cuts and scrapes.
- Stress relief: There are many travel induced stressors. Essential oils can be used to relieve tension, anxiety, restlessness, and other feelings of discontent. We like to think they help fellow travelers within smelling distance, too.
- Health and wellness: Let’s face it, you’re exposed to a lot of germs when you’re traveling. We use essential oils to prevent illness (hello 5 Thieves!), or perk us up if we’ve caught a cold. We also use oils for mouthwash, decongestants, upset stomach, and even as a nontoxic cleaning aid when traveling off the beaten path.
- Optimal performance: Traveling requires a lot of brain power and physical energy, but oils can be used to stay sharp mentally. Many travelers use oils to promote focus, increase energy, and unwind from a long day of sightseeing.
- Skincare: Traveling can be tough on skin. Sun, wind, stress, and jumping time zones are just a few of the things that can add years to your complexion. But essential oils can be used to clean, tone, moisturize, and rejuvenate skin without ever compromising your adventure schedule.
Tips for Traveling with Essential Oils
Invest in a travel kit with specific, travel-related formulas. If you travel often, you know what it’s like to try and fit all the “essentials” into a single suitcase. Now, imagine trying to fit all 18 of the best oils for travel into your carry-on. It would be a challenge (and let’s be real, we want to leave PLENTY of room for vegan snacks).
So, our #1 tip is to invest in an essential oils travel kit with both stand-alone oils and therapeutic blends. For example, a formula like De-stress has a combination of crisp aromas that work together to create a sense of peace and tranquility while traveling. One blend, countless benefits, and a cinch to travel with.
Don’t sweat TSA. If you are flying somewhere and want to use your oils in-flight, remember that the Transportation Security Admin (TSA) limits the size of liquids that you can travel with. At this time (2018), that limit is 3.4 ounces. Most essential oils come in bottles that are way smaller than that.
For more information on flying with oils, diffusers, and carrier oils, visit our guide to flying with essential oils.
Remember your carrier oil. Carrier oils are important to remember, especially if you travel with an essential oil that needs diluted before use. When traveling with carrier oils, think about where you’re going, how you’re getting there, and how you will use essential oils along the way. For example, remember to travel with no more than 3.4 ounces of liquid oils if you’ll be traveling via airplane and want to carry the oils onboard.
Be mindful of fellow travelers. We like to think everyone benefits from essential oils (including fellow travelers who are lucky enough to be downwind of your diffuser). However, that isn’t always the case. Everyone has unique preferences, so be mindful of those around you. Consider traveling with a diffuser, a roller, and an inhaler. Use the diffuser when you are in an open space or private room, but opt for a roller or inhaler when sharing a space with others.
Compare Travel Kits
If you made it this far, you’re probably thinking, Hot damn, I need to get my paws on some essential oils!
But which essential oils should you choose? And what’s all this talk about diffusers, inhalers, and carrier oils?
We got you covered. Visit our guide to essential oils kits to compare 100% pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils for travel.
With the help of licensed aroma therapists, we’ve hand-selected 8 unique essential oils travel kits for your viewing pleasure. Every oil is 100% pure, vegan, and therapeutic-grade.
Oh, and a portion of each sale benefits one of our favorite vegan charities. Happy browsing!
(i) Peppermint oil for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. NCBI. URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24100754.
(ii) Instant effects of peppermint essential oil on the physiological parameters and exercise performance. NCBI. URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103722/.