Essential Oils for Jet Lag
Our advice for jetsetters: Use essential oils for jet lag.
What is Jet lag?
Jet lag is that less than joyous feeling of a temporary condition that affects people that cross multiple time zones. It affects the body’s natural circadian rhythm, or body clock, with symptoms such an insomnia, fatigue, and mental fog.
The circadian rhythm is a 24-hour cycle that dictates when we wake and sleep. Our bodies are slow to adjust when traveling to a new time zone, remaining on its schedule for a few days. When this happens, our bodies will signal us to sleep in the middle of the day or wake in the middle of the night. This affects hormone levels, particularly melatonin, and will affect eating patterns as well.
Jet Lag’s Effects on the Body and Mind
Some examples as to how jet lag affects the mind and body:
- Mental fog
- Extreme fatigue
- Weakened immune system
- Appetite disturbances
- Digestive issues
- Inability to focus
Most often, the biggest issue is extreme fatigue and mental clarity.
Essential Oils & Other Tricks for Minimizing Jet lag
Jet lag symptoms can be minimized through tools and preparation. These include:
- Essential oils. Oils are a natural and effective way to ease symptoms of jet lag. They are travel friendly and safe.
- Select a flight that arrives during the day, not at night. Try to stay awake until around 10pm, local time
- Change the time on your clock to the destination’s time once you’ve boarded the plane.
- Pick the right plane. A380s and A350s are the best for time zone travel. They have air purifying systems and humidifying systems that help keep moisture in the air. They also have advanced LED light systems with about 16 million color shades to simulate natural light.
- Speaking of natural light, soak up that vitamin D (with sunscreen, of course). Get as much daylight as you can. Save the vampire vibes for the end of the trip.
- Limit daytime naps at destination to two hours in the afternoon
- Several days before departure, go to bed earlier and get up earlier if heading eastward. If heading westward, go to bed later and wake up earlier.
- Reduce stress. Stress can lead to insomnia. Travel stress creates two conditions- First Night Effect and On-Call Effect. First Night Effect occurs when you sleep in a foreign environment. On-Call Effect is the possibility that something might wake you, like an unfamiliar noise or phone call.
Best Essential Oils for Jet Lag
Travel related stress and jet lag is hard enough on our bodies. Essential oils are an easy, natural, portable, and effective way to ease symptoms. These oils will have you rockin your trip in no time.
The best essential oils for jet lag:
- Frankincense: Frankincense is one of our favorite oils for jet lag. It reduces stress, boosts the immune system, eases digestion, calms nerves and acts as a sleep aid. It also is an astringent that can kill bacteria and germs.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood promotes mental clarity and beats brain fog. It also is used to calm, relax, and soothe anxiety.
- Lemon: Lemon oil is uplifting and provides immunity support.
- Thieves: Thieves oil reduces stress, improves digestion, and strengthens immunity. It is an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil increases alertness and mental clarity, improves digestion, reduces stress, eases nausea, relieves headaches, boosts energy, and relieves muscle pain.
- Geranium: Geranium oil balances hormones, relieves stress, improves circulation, and fight depression.
- Lavender: Lavender oil soothes headaches, aids sleep, promotes relaxation, boosts moods, and calms the mind.
- Orange: Orange oil is uplifting, calming, relieves stress, and improves digestion.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit oil stimulates the brain, boosts energy, improve alertness, and reduce stress.
Introducing: The Jetsetter Essential Oils Kit
The Electric Soul is all about travel. The farther and more exotic, the better. Obviously, we don’t have time for jet lag.
We don’t think you do, either.
We teamed up with Oh That Glow™ to design an essential oil travel kit exclusively for travelers who love to jump time zones. In it, you’ll find the best essential oils for soothing the symptoms of jet lag. Hand selected by certified aroma therapists, the Jetsetter Essential Oils Travel Kit essential oil kit includes a variety of therapeutic-grade oils to help you relax, recharge, and feel fresh when you land.
Our Jetsetter kit includes these all-star essential oils:
Few essential oils are more versatile than our De-stress formula, especially when traveling. De-stress is a combination of some of the best oils to fight jet lag. Together, these oils create an aroma that will lift your spirits and relax your body no matter how far you are from home. Jet lag who?
A few drops are all you need to ease your way through security, relax at your gate, and nestle into your seat. Use De-Stress to help you ease into the time change and get a good night’s sleep.
5 Thieves is the ultimate travel buddy. This oil is a ninja when it comes to fighting jet lag. Thieves will keep you healthy and relaxed, on and off the plane.
Use 5 Thieves to boost your immunity and ward off bacteria (take a hike, plane germs). It will keep you calm and healthy in the face of long flights and time change.
Brain Power is a blend of some of the best essential oils to ease jet lag symptoms. This oil blend will keep you alert, focused, and ready to take on your adventure.
Use Brain Power on the final approach and hit the ground running. Warning: Do not run through customs. That would be, well, awkward.
Peppermint will leave jet lag in the dust. It is a well-rounded oil that boost energy, increases alertness, and fights fatigue.
You just dropped your bags at your hotel and the bed is looking tempting. Fight the urge. Use peppermint to the fight brain fog and head out for an adventure. Before bed, rub peppermint on your muscles to relieve any post flight tension.
Shop Essential Oils for Jet Lag, and We’ll Donate 10% to Charity
Jetsetter isn’t the only kit we have for you travel junkies. In fact, we created 8 unique kits to capture the essence of our 8 favorite types of travelers. From the always-on A-Lister to the #NeverNotWorkout Road Warrior, we have a little something for everyone.
Visit this guide to essential oil travel kits, and grab a kit for you or a friend. 10% of every purchase goes to an animal charity, so you can feel good about feelin’ good!