New York is known for its pizza. And let’s be real, a trip to New York City is not complete without a slice. If you didn’t get one, did it even happen?
As a melting pot of cultures and culinary masters, the City has some unique takes on vegan pizza. We ate our way through NYC (and ran it all off when we almost missed the last train to Red Bank). After compiling our favorite bites, we consulted our favorite chef, Uncle Dom Natale, for a healthier twist on this NY staple.
This recipe is vegan and free of gluten, refined sugar, corn, soy, and guilt. We suggest playing Angelina by Louis Prima while making this recipe. You’ll see why.
The pizza serves 2-3 people. The recipe can easily be double, tripled, quadrupled… you get the idea. Switch up the toppings to suit your palate.
[paperio_title_style tz_title_style=”style-three” tz_title_text=”SHOTS FROM THE TABLE” tz_title_color=”” tz_extra_class=”” tz_extra_id=””][/paperio_title_style]
[paperio_title_style tz_title_style=”style-two” tz_title_text=”INGREDIENTS” tz_title_color=”” tz_extra_class=”” tz_extra_id=””][/paperio_title_style]
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 2-3 potatoes)
- 1 cup almond flour (can sub for another flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 avocados
- Mozzarella “cheese” that melts well
- Fresh arugula
- Fresh spinach
[paperio_title_style tz_title_style=”style-two” tz_title_text=”DIRECTIONS” tz_title_color=”” tz_extra_class=”” tz_extra_id=””][/paperio_title_style]
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree
- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes
- Boil a large pot of water
- Add potatoes & boil until soft (about 20 minutes)
- Mash avocados together and set aside
- Wash spinach and arugula, mix together and set aside
- Drain potatoes from water
- Add almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Knead mixture together. Form into a large ball.
- Place dough in the fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes
- Line a pizza pan or baking sheet with parchment paper
- Roll or press out the dough on the pan. We like crispy, thin crust so press it out to ¼-1/2 inch thick (you may use a rolling pin to get it super thin)
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until crust starts to crisp
- Remove from oven
- Spread mashed avocado over the pizza crust
- Add spinach and arugula mixture to your liking
- Grate or sprinkle the “cheese” over the top
- Place in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted
- Remove, serve, and press replay on Louis Prima’s Angelina.
You’ll be dancing and eating, eating and dancing. Two of our favorite things. We’d love to hear what you think. Post your photos of Uncle Dom’s Sweet Potato Pizza, tag @the_electric_soul, and #theelectricsouluncledom.
Like our Italian grandmothers said, Mangia!